Kristin Mastre, owner and originator of Feasting Fort Collins, who has very graciously permitted me to reprint this interview here:The following questions were submitted to me some time ago by the magnanimous and most excellent
Name: Ray Harvey
1. What brought you to Fort Collins?
The big blue highway. Nothing more specific than that, I’m afraid.
2. What do you love about living in Fort Collins?
The pines and the pipistrelles.
3. What inspired your career choice?
Ultimately, my love of literature, which I felt bartending would best facilitate. I was not wrong. Just incidentally, did you know that the poet John Masefield, off a ship at 18, worked for a while in a Greenwich Village saloon?
4. What’s the best meal you’ve eaten here?
To be very honest, I find the concept of eating slightly preposterous, if you really want to know. I mean, when you think about it. Our bodies totally dependent on this stuff that just turns to dross anyway. I mean, human existence reduced to THAT. Well, it lacks class, in my opinion. Having said that, the two-pound T-Bone, with chanterelle mushrooms, followed by strawberries Romanoff and coal-black coffee at Nico’s Catacombs haunts me in a most peculiar way.
5. What’s your drink?
Coffee. I’m really not much of an alcohol drinker, I regret to say — disappointing to many, I know, but upon the other hand, we can all I think agree that I must keep my wits about me, such as they are.
6. How often do you prepare your own meals?
Infrequently. The fact is, I do not eat every single day. It keeps me alert and gives me that lean and hungry look — or so I like to believe.
7. What would we find in your refrigerator?
Raw meat and roses.
8. What do you do to relax?
Well, I drink a lot of coffee. I go for long runs. I read a lot. In general, I find myself most relaxed when I’m alone with my books.
9. Favorite meal on the go?
A bloody slab of beef.
10. Craziest, funniest, or most embarrassing story from the business?
Undoubtedly, the time I got Janeane Garofalo so drunk on Jack Daniels that by the end of it, she was trying to light up the filter end of her Marlboros, the mere memory of which still causes that sudden erection of hairs on the back of my neck. All of this was when you could still smoke in bars, of course.
11. What’s your guilty pleasure?
Lapping honey from the sharpened blade.
12. What are your hopes for the Fort Collins food scene?
Let us keep on keeping on.
13. What album are you currently wearing out on your ipod?
The Darling Thieves, Race to Red. That song “Unspoken” makes me bang my head.
14. Where do you go for a date night?
Ace Gillett’s. Is there anywhere else?
15. What’s for breakfast?
Books, black coffee, the breathing bell above.
16. What do you do after work?
French toast at IHOP, around 4:00 am. Next, I scrub my chompers and hit the deck.
17. What’s your death row meal?
My goodness, you ARE morbid. Answer: a quart of cookie dough.
18. What’s the best ice cream flavor?
19. What do you have on your DVR?
After Dark, My Sweet.
20. What’s your favorite thing to do in Fort Collins?
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might.